Friday, May 8, 2015

And just like that...Embryo Donation

Well Friends, I am alive and living life with my two kids and husband. Busy, but good. A couple job changes, a few moves..all for the good.  The kids are 8 and 5! Back in the infertile days I would wish for just a 10 second glimpse into my future just so I could know how it all turned out. And now I am here...living that future.

And then the cryo bill went from $40/month to $125/month and it forced me to decide what to do with the embryos.   It's not the finances...but after 5+ years it is time to decide and act.  For me, I had always thought that giving them to another family was the best decision for us.  I did not want to destroy them or leave them to science. No judgement at all on what others do.  It is a really difficult decision.

I have halfheartedly looked at some sites. Decided that if we did give them away to another family that we would go with donation rather than adoption. Again, no judgement on those who choose embryo adoption.

Two weeks ago I found a couple and just thought "it's them".  It took us about a week or so of information exchange and googling about each other. They saw our family blog with pictures of Bambina and Mr. Peeveme.  Then they said they'd love to be the recipients. We said we'd love to have them be the recipients.  It was that fast.  It was that uncomplicated. And just like that we have a match.

Recipient Mom has an informational appointment with the clinic next week.  I guess I should have one too?  I think I need to hire a lawyer?

I am starting to feel sad...loss.  I am still going through with the match but I am sad.  I love them (the embryos), I would have them all if I could.  Why is letting them go to another family hard?

Just like when I decided to do DE I know that, while I am sad and conflicted now, years down the line this will have been a great decision. I trust that otherwise I would not be doing this.  But for now I am sad and conflicted but resolute that this is right for all of us (the Peevemes, the embryos and their parents).

And just like that this has become an embryo donation blog from the perspective of the donors.




1 comment:

areyoukiddingme said...

It's good to have some sort of resolution, but of course you feel loss. Why wouldn't you?