Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The first time Part 1

The first time I went into labor I had a spontaneous breaking of my waters. It was about 10pm and I was in bed. I heard a little pop and then felt some fluid. It wasn't a gush but more than a trickle. So I got up and went to the bathroom. When I did that the trickle stopped (baby's head stopped it up like a cork). So I got back into bed. When I did I felt a good amount of fluid and knew it was not just me peeing myself again.

I knew from my classes that the L&D staff would want to test to fluid to make sure it was amniotic fluid. So I gathered up one of those pee vials I use to bring in my "sample" at each pre-natal appointment. It never occurred to me that they would test the fluid coming out from it's source. Mr. Peeveme and I got dressed and drove to the hospital.



I made it into triage. They told me they would like to test the fluid and in one graceful move I reached into my purse and produced my perfect little vial of clear-pink-ish fluid. I held it out to the two nurses who just stood there staring at it. Not moving...not talking. They just stood here...midway through pulling on their latex gloves all perplexed looking. My arm still outstretched. Finally, one of them asked, "What is that?"

I replied, "The amniotic fluid". Still nothing..."Don't you need to test it?".

They looked at each other and just started laughing. I had no idea what was so funny but I smiled along becasue well...what else was I supposed to do?

"We have never seen amniotic fluid. How did you get it in that little vial?".

Me, "Um...how does everyone else bring in their fluid? I used a Dixie cup first"

They kindly explained how it's normally done. And then I felt silly. I honestly thought it would all leak out and that there would be nothing left to test so I wanted to capture some. Wrong.

After a little monitoring in the triage we were admitted and sent to a room. I assured myself, Mr. Peeveme and the nurses that we'd be having this baby in a few hours. Peeveme women always have fast labors.

Wrong again.

6 comments:

Joonie said...

That is hilarious! When I got to the hospital they told me they wanted to test the amniotic fluid and I wasn't exactly clear on how they were going to do it either!

Birdee said...

LOL, I wished I was funny like you. And you've got some talent, I cant even capture my pee samples in a cup, I loose 90% of it and my hand is drenched. It sometimes takes my two tries to get my Dr a sample.

areyoukiddingme said...

Too funny! I didn't think much about the testing, because I was like "test if you must, but I can assure you that my water broke." I don't know if they did much testing either, because they flipped up my gown, and just said "oh."

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well, I guess now you know. When my water broke in the morning (as I was taking my shower before going in for a planned c-section); so we just went to the hospital as planned and no one seemed to care very much that my water broke in week 38. Guess he was coming whether we had the c-section or not.

Looking forward to hearing the rest -

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious...I had no idea what to expect with my water breaking. My doctor broke it and out it gushed but then it stopped so I thought "Okay, that's it".

Until every contraction after that for a while i gushed like Niagra Falls, all over the bed, my gown, the floor. LOL I then realized JUST HOW MUCH fluid is inside! LOL

Best When Used By said...

Both you and your commenters have given me quite an education. I probably would have done the same thing you did. As I read your story I thought "Oh, good idea, bringing the sample." What do I know? Hm.